Flughafen Hamburg - Research reveals

Research reveals

We regularly present interesting studies regarding Hamburg Airport and the Hamburg Metropolitan Region. Take a look at our selection of research topics to help you evaluate the prospect of Hamburg as a destination. If you are interested in airline-specific data, please contact your personal Key Account Manager.

Research reveals

The Hamburg Aviation Conference 2017

Passengers expect perfection, not banality, as digitalisation takes over. They are looking for fast and reliable information and want to put their travel packages together themselves. This year’s Hamburg Aviation Conference was all about how dynamic personalised offers are changing an entire industry. More than 200 experts and managers from 29 nations gathered together in February to discuss opportunities presented for the aviation business by growing digital interconnectedness.

More...


Hamburg: Europe's 11th biggest metropolis

... but not enough long-haul routes!
 Forget Rome (at least for a moment). All roads lead to Hamburg. The Hamburg Metropolitan Region is one of the most competitive in Germany and indeed in Europe. Five million people live and work here, at the crossroads of Europe's most important transport routes between Scandinavia and the west, south and east of the continent. Within Germany, only the Ruhr and Berlin are more populous, and Europe-wide we are number eleven. But whilst all roads and shipping channels lead to Hamburg, the long-haul flights don't. Yet. Let's seize the potential and fix that little problem, shall we?

More...


North German companies longing for China

"Han Bao", fortress of the Chinese, is the Chinese name for Hamburg. The city's relationship with China is deep and longstanding, with Hamburg serving as China's gateway to Europe. This is also reflected in the number of passengers flying between Hamburg and China. Passenger volume rose by 56 percent, or an average of 5 percent per year, between 2006 and 2015. Amongst all countries currently not served by a direct connection from Hamburg, China (incl. Hong Kong) has by far the most passengers, followed by Thailand. We have asked northern German companies specifically about their need for flights to China.

More...


Big events with potential for airlines

Elbe and Alster, bustling squares and green parkland - Hamburg is one of the European heartland's most beautiful cities. The wide range of colourful sporting and cultural events attracts locals and tourists alike, and this variety is attracting more and more foreign visitors to the city. Use the HAMinfo Terminal or get in touch with us directly to find out about current and upcoming events. Keep up to date and you'll know when it's a good idea to expand route capacity. Discover events to promote ticket sales in your own B2C newsletters!

More...


Just how international Hamburg is

It's more than likely that the person from Hamburg you are talking to is not a local! "Hamburg-born-and-bred" is an appellation that 45% (around 800,000) of the city's population can lay claim to. The other 55% - not far short of a million - were born in one of Germany's 15 other states or in one of 180 other countries. There are some 1,200 cities abroad listed amongst the birthplaces of Hamburg residents right now. Put simply: the city on the banks of the Elbe is a very international place! So where are all these newcomers from? The team at the Northern Statistics Office has done its homework, and we can tell you what they discovered.
 

More..